Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Poor Kimi with Bronchitis

Date: 14th May 2010

Last Friday I was on half day leave as my parents and sister were here in KL for one day trip. Around 4pm, I received a call from hubby asking me, if I could go back to Taiping with him or not on that night itself? He added, if my cough and flu got better or not? I ask him why. He told me, Kimi's coughing did not seem to be better so my PIL brought him to see the doctor again. After a check-up at the hospital, the paediatrician said that Kimi was having 'Bronchitis'. He needs to be at the hospital twice a day for 3 days continuously under the 'Nebulizer' therapy.

Oh my god! When I heard that, I was very worried. I didn’t know much about ‘Bronchitis’ neither nor I know what is ‘Nebulizer’ all about. Was it a serious thing or just some medical terms that doctor used? My parents who were next to me at that time, kept on asked me not to worry. Kimi will be fine.

Kimi had been having expectorating cough and because of the cough made him once a while having shortness of breath. He had not been sleeping well since last Saturday. When we came back to KL on Sunday, every day had been calling back home to ask about Kimi's conditions. PIL had been telling us, Kimi was alright, just that having some minor flu and cough only, is in the midst of recovering. But last Friday, while MIL was feeding Kimi, she sensed that something was not right. Kimi did not seem to be able to take in the milk or porridge. So immediately PIL sent him to the hospital for consultation.

So after sending my parents off, I quickly packed some clothes and waited for hubby to come back from work. While waiting for hubby, I goggled and read more about Bronchitis and Nebulizer. A nebulizer is a medical device that converts liquid medication into a fine mist, which is inhaled into the lungs. It is often used for medications prescribed to treat asthma, bronchitis or other respiratory ailments.

When hubby reached home, he realized that my flu and cough did not seem to be better, so he asked me to go and see the doctor again to take some medicine, in order to make myself healthier to be able to take care of Kimi later. After I took some sleep and medication, we drove back to Taiping. (My cough and flu should be got it from Kimi last weekend while taking care of him.)

When we reached, MIL told us, after 2 times of Nebulizer, Kimi seemed to be able to sleep better and can drink some milk. My heart feels a bit more relieved upon hearing that. But by looking at Kimi, he seems to lose some weight compare to last week. Haih, my poor baby Kimi!

Daddy was holding Kimi for the Nebulizer therapy most of the time. Mummy only managed to hold Kimi for one time only. Most of the time, Mummy can only be at the side cheering up because I was having some minor coughs, better don’t be too near to Kimi. At first he was still playing with the nurse while doing the Nebulizer, but after a few minutes, he started to cry out loud. Poor Baby Kimi! Once a while, when he was crying too seriously, the nurse stopped for a while to let Kimi settle down first. Then we continued again. Really very pitiful ~~ Lots-lots of tears rolling down from his eyes....


But luckily, after the 3 days treatments, Kimi seems to be back with his normal naughty look again. He can play and sleep well. He can drink his milk, but once a while cannot finish all. He can consume some porridge too. Yesterday he went to his follow-up check-up, the paediatrician said Kimi lungs were clearer so no need to go for the Nebulizer anymore. Only need to be under medication for another week. If everything is fine on next week, he needs to be back for his Pneumococcal jab which was due earlier. However, the weighing machine shows that Kimi is 200gms thinner. Hope Kimi can faster recover fully and gain back his weight! Can’t wait to see you again this coming weekend ~

More about Bronchitis in Baby/Infants can be read at:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_bronchitis_1189989.bc
http://www.ehow.com/how_5082028_treat-bronchitis-babies.html

Kimi's porridge ~ Cooked with potatoes, carrots and some lean meat ~ After that, blended it to make it easier for Kimi to eat...

On Monday, Kimi looks better and recovering well. So, we brought Kimi to Taiping Lake for a short walk on Monday evening before travelled back to KL ~

3 comments:

Wills said...

Good to see Kimi has recovered! Tough little boy. Rafa's cousin had bronchitis too a few months ago and by all account it wasn't a pleasant experience.

~ ShinY's Life ~ said...

Ya, Wills! The only thing is he is losing weight for the last week.

This weekend we are going to visit Kimi. Hope we can see a super healthy Kimi... Hehe :)

How is Rafa's cousin now?

Wills said...

His cousin is fine now. It was 2-3 months ago when he got it.