Sunday, October 19, 2014

Chinese Leap Month of September (闰九月)

In our Chinese Lunar Calendar of Year 2014, we have a leap month in September which falls on 24th October (Chinese known it as 閏九月). From Year 1849 to Year 2050, over the 200 years, it only appears for ONE time, which is in this Year of 2014. The next one will only come in Year 2109.

MIL told me two weeks ago in regards to this special month. She informed me that traditionally, as children, it is advisable for us to buy a silver gift to our own parents as a small token on this special month. Hubby and my BIL had bought for my PIL each of them a silver gift to follow this tradition. And MIL reminded me, if possible, to do the same thing for my parents so that both of them have good blessings from their children too!

I of course do not know about this tradition. So I called my siblings to discuss over it. They had no objections with this so I was given the task to buy it. I went back to the same shop where Hubby went together with my PIL 2 weeks ago so that I could get the correct accessories.

After looking at a few designs, I chose the simplest design for my parents, with no exaggerate patterns. Hope they will like it. I do not dare to choose too fancy designs with worries that they might not like it. Hope the ring size can fit well on our Dad’s finger and the earrings can fit beautifully our Mum’s ears. A small token from us, as children, to our parents with LOTS of Blessings! Wishing both of them always in Good Health & Happy Life ^^ I am going to post them out tomorrow so that the accessories can reach our Parents' hands on time!


After bought these SILVER accessories (we actually bought the stainless steel type) for our parents, I did search online on articles in regards to this tradition. I quoted from the article as below. And indeed, it is an old tradition to be passed down! 

添福又添寿 九月送礼予父母
:在中国传统习俗,凡在闰年闰月赠送金银玉等饰品,可为父母添福添寿,消灾解难.

No comments: