Friday, November 9, 2012

A Baking Session with Kimi

On Tuesday evening, when I picked up Kimi from the Nursery, the teacher there passed me a note informed us that this Friday they are going to organize a Class Party. This party is to mark the last day of school and also a farewell party for the children who are going to Primary One next year.

On the note, it is stated, 'The children will have potluck session to share goodies brought from home'. Oh... such a late notice, what shall I do then? This is my first experience and I am not too sure what I need to prepare for Kimi. Not wanting him to bring junk food to school, so I spent a Tuesday night to think of what Kimi can bring for the party.

Finally, I decided to bake for him :) I searched a few recipes online which were suitable for kids. At the end I had 2 in mind. So on Wednesday lunch hour, I made a trip to the bakery shop and bought the ingredients needed. After work on Wednesday night, I tried out for the first time so that I can know what to adjust on the recipe. I want to make sure that the cakes are edible when Kimi brings it to school on Friday.

Thursday night, the real baking started!

This is what I bake - Banana Muffins ~ I choose an easier and healthier recipe for the kids. Hope they will like it!

The ingredients were 2 portions which I tested to bake on Wednesday night.
On Thursday, I doubled up the ingredients because 2 portions can only bake around 11 muffins.

Kimi - The Baker Assistant of the Night!

 
 
 

The outcome after 10 minutes (half time) & 20 minutes (full time) of baking ~
 
 
And the little assistant comes again....
This round is to help to arrange the muffins into the box properly.
 


Finally.... There are ready to be served!!
 

Hope the children @ Kimi's Nursery love the muffins ;)
 
Banana Muffin's Recipe which a friend of mine shares it with me. The recipes she shares uses cups as measurement. I calculated them into Grams so that easier for me to measure the ingredients.

Recipe:
2 medium size bananas (Mashed)
2 eggs
120g Canola Oil
100g Icing Sugar (But I replace this with Brown Sugar)
130g Self Raising Flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (Optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 Baking Powder (This one I add in myself as my first attempt the muffins look flat. Hehe....)

Methods:
1) Beat eggs, sugar and canola oil for around 5 minutes until they are foamy.
2) Fold in the raising flour and mashed bananas.
3) Add in some vanilla essence (if needed)
4) Spoon the mixture into the paper cups until they are around 3/4 full.

Preheat the oven at 170C. Bake for around 20 minutes or until they are golden brown on top.

This is a very easy recipe and it only takes me around 20 minutes for preparations and 20 minutes for baking. Not hassle and easy to clean up the mess after bake.

I double up the portions and it can bake for 24 - 26 muffins.

Kimi loves it very much and ate up 2 muffins after they cold down. I stop him from continue to ask for more because I worry later not enough for him to bring to school to share. Hehe :)

No comments: