Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Solstice Festival

Today is the Winter Solstice Festival or The Extreme of Winter and in Chinese we name it as '冬至'. This festival can consider as one of the most important festivals celebrated by the Chinese besides Chinese New Year. When I was at my younger years till now, my grandma and parents will always tell us, after we eat the 'Tangyuan' (湯圓), we will grow one year older... This day is also a day for Chinese family to get together and make 'Tangyuan'. Then of course, after cook it, we will eat together. My grandma used to tell us, these 'Tangyuan' or balls of glutinous rice symbolize reunion. That is why today is very important to us as well.

So, last night, hubby and I made some 'Tangyuan' at home. Hubby only likes to eat the simpliest type which is cooked with sugar water. So I cooked the way which hubby likes it and eats together with him. Hubby helped me to roll the 'Tangyuan' into balls. So nice of him... Feel so warm when we eat it together. This morning woke up earlier to cook another batch again as today is the actual day of eating 'Tangyuan'. Hehe :)

~ The 'Tangyuan' we made at home ~

'HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE FESTIVAL' to everyone !!

1 comment:

LOLIpOp~~ said...

You are good la! so traditional by making the tangyuan by yourself, as nowadays everyone juz buy frozen one, incl my mother and grandma also dont make themselve alr ;p

you are a good mummy n good wife ;p