Friday, October 2, 2009

Kimi's Jaundice Journey ~

During my early pregnancy, I have actually thought of breastfeed my baby. After attended the antenatal classes at Pantai Hospital and gathered some knowledge from there, the determination of breastfeeding grew stronger. I told myself, I wanna breastfeed baby Kimi for at least 2 months during my maternity leaves. That’s the least which I can do as a mummy for a newborn baby of mine.

Because of breastfeeding, I rejected all the usages of traditional methods or any other liquids (as suggested by the confinement auntie)that need to feed into Kimi’s mouth to reduce the jaundice level on Kimi. I believe, the jaundice developed in Kimi, should be from the breast milk which I have fed him.

Kimi has been in and out hospital for 4 times for the jaundice level’s tests at Columbia Asia Hospital Taiping. Doctor advice was only keep on feeding him with breast milk so that he can pee and poo more… This can indirectly reduce the jaundice in him. Although the jaundice level had not reached the dangerous zone, but he was re-hospitalized again for one night, a few days after he was back to Taiping, to be under the light therapy. I was in the hospital accompanied him so that I can feed him whenever he need. After the light therapy, the jaundice level was much reduced...

As his jaundice didn’t seem to go off (prolonged jaundice) although he was already 20 days’ old (by last Friday), so the pediatrician suggested to me, that I should give Kimi to do a blood and urine test to make sure that his jaundice is not causing any danger to him. I was quite worried then. Pity Kimi, before the doctor actually put the jab into his hands to take his blood sample, he seemed to be able to sense it and cried so loud till I think the outside waiting patients should be can hear his cries. Doctor took 2 small little bottles of his blood and also his urine sample. Results will be out in a week’s time.

So today, I went to hospital again to take Kimi’s Laboratory Report and for his follow-up check up. Luckily everything turns out fine and baby Kimi is healthy. The jaundice that he has is not causing any danger to him. It is breast milk jaundice. The pediatrician asks me no need to worry so much. It will go off when the time is ripe… Doctor keeps on telling me that Kimi is an active baby so no need to worry too much. Keep on breastfeed him will do.

Thank God! Luckily, my decision of fully breastfeed him is correct and he is growing day by day ^_^ Baby Kimi weighs 4kgs at Day 27 :)

~ Baby Kimi at Day 26 ~

2 comments:

Qing said...

hi!Shin Y,my bb last time also faced jaundice. but he was hospitalized n under light therapy.it's advised not to take too much ginger coz it will increase the "yellow" to cause the jaundice level high.
full breast feeding, my bb weight's increase.
happy full moon to BB Kimi n u r merdeka!

~ ShinY's Life ~ said...

Thanks, Qing!!

Ya, I stopped eating ginger and whatever food that can indirectly cause yellow since Day 3 when Kimi is born.

I started took a bit of those food back when his jaundice condition getting more stable.

Hope he will be fine soon ~~